Approximately half of the human population is female, so to not educate girls is not only an injustice to them; it is an injustice to their nation and the entire world. According to UNICEF, educating girls yields spectacular social benefits for the current generation and those to come.
Educating girls is no longer an option- it is a necessity! Below are just a few reasons why we must forge forward in educating African girls:
- An educated girl tends to marry later and have healthier children.
- The children she does have will be more likely to survive; they will be better nourished and better educated.
- She will be more productive at home and better paid in the workplace.
- She is able to make healthier decisions, and better protect herself against HIV/AIDS.
- She assumes more active roles in social, economic and political decision-making throughout her life.
- Because she is a healthy, well-educated and emancipated woman, she will rear a healthy, well-educated and emancipated child.
All of these benefits transmit across generation, as well as their communities, and nations. They help pull individuals, families, communities and nations out of poverty. Kofi Annan said it perfectly: "To educate girls is to reduce poverty."
Join us today in changing a life, community, nation and the entire world! !
This is all the more reason why there should be increased focus on the education of girls.
Articles and Resources: